AFTER

AFTER
AFTER

BEFORE

BEFORE
BEFORE

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

In my opinion, the biggest key to losing weight and maintaining...is...

Setting goals!!!

Now hold on a second before you punch your computer screen!...I've always hated setting personal goals, so I understand the natural reluctance many of us have in embracing them as a means of furthering progress. In the case of losing weight and maintaining, those annoying weenies (goals) are always first to tap you on the shoulder or stick their finger in your ear when you're about to take a bite of a doughnut on a non-indulgence or non-"cheat" day. The thing is though, they work.

By the way, I say "goals" because I've found that the more realistic goals I set and make, the easier losing and maintaining is.

For example, when I was losing, I learned to ALWAYS have at least 2 concurrent goals- one short-term (usually to lose 5 pounds within 3 weeks) and one long-term (to hit my ultimate goal of 170). Once the short-term goal was made, I'd make a new one and the long-term goal would keep me in check when I'd indulge in a guiltless treat...usually broccoli...just kidding...more like enchiladas.

Now that I'm maintaining, with the normal daily and weekly weight fluctuations I experience (due mostly to guilt-free, weekly indulgences), I'll always set weekly goals to be at a specific weight on a specific day.

The bottom line: If I'm not setting realistic goals, I'm not losing or maintaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment