AFTER

AFTER
AFTER

BEFORE

BEFORE
BEFORE

Friday, February 4, 2011

Americans love to win big, and there's apparently no exception in the weight gain category!

I don't know how to react to the news "Americans grew fatter at a faster pace than residents of any other wealthy nation since 1980, during a period when obesity worldwide nearly doubled," reported in Bloomberg on 2/3/2011 in an article titled "American Waistlines Expand at Fastest Pace Among Rich Nations, Study Finds (the article is actually a summary of three articles published by The Lancet on the same day that report on global obesity, cholesterol, and blood pressure)."

Should I put my hand over my heart, or should I barf? 

Seriously, how can we (Americans) tolerate this news?  Pardon my objectivity, but America is the greatest nation on earth.  Period.  Through America's championing of freedom, capitalism, hard work, and ingenuity, the world has been more blessed and enjoyed a higher standard of living than ever before.

The thing is, we've been THE world super-power arguably since WWII and undisputedly since 1989.  Why are we getting fatter now?  What happened to our self-control?  I hope we're not just getting lazy.

Now, I'm the last person in the world who can point the finger.  As you know, I was a fatty for most of my life.  But, news like this really motivated me to lose weight and still motivates me to maintain.  Maybe it appeals to my inner patriot, or maybe I just don't like to be easily stereotyped.  Probably some of both.  Does it motivate you?

1 comment:

  1. Its iteresting that obesity is actually one of the biggest problems affecting the POOR of our rich country

    ReplyDelete