AFTER

AFTER
AFTER

BEFORE

BEFORE
BEFORE

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

How do I lose and maintain while traveling (for work, pleasure, or both)?

The fit guy in me doesn't like traveling because it knocks me out of my routine. The fat guy in me finds out I have to travel and cries out, "woo hoo...I just won the lottery!!!" It's embarrassing when this happens at church. Here are some actions I have taken to force fit guy and fat guy to compromise, which benefits me the most.

-Planning meals in advance...perhaps the most important thing. If I leave every meal to chance, chances are they won't be very healthy. An easier way to do this is by:
-Taking healthier food with me.
-Buying food at grocery stores when I can. Once I had to try and find healthy food at a convenience store- difficult, but worthwhile. I found some protein bars, fruit, and almonds. Much healthier than going to McDonalds.
-Drinking water on planes.
-Ordering fish and steamed vegetables at restaurants.
-Avoiding eating at night or in my room.
-Focusing on fruits and hard-boiled eggs at continental breakfasts.
-Buying healthy snacks like fruit, etc.

I love a good meal on a business trip just as much as the next fatty at heart. The difference I believe is I try and save that meal for a designated cheat day so I can enjoy it more and maintain my momentum.

On family vacations, eating naughty food is often the best part. I get it. Still, I have to remind myself that once I go off the binge deep-end, recovering is always exponentially more difficult.

Please let me know what has worked for you.

1 comment:

  1. ive found that even if i have one smidgen of something on a family trip, even just one bite of lindsey's amazing quiche, i will go back for more. if i don't have any at all, i wont be tempted further- the best defense is a good offense!

    ReplyDelete