AFTER

AFTER
AFTER

BEFORE

BEFORE
BEFORE

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Am I shrinking or are portions growing?

Over the years, I thought I noticed gradual increases in portion sizes at restaurants. If you're like me, you remember fondly specific marketing initiatives like "super-sizing" and "free-refills." As a boy, and then a man with an insatiable appetite, I took full advantage. My goal was to make restaurants lose money through my uber-consumption.

It turns out portions both in restaurants and at home have grown significantly over time. It's no wonder America has a "growing" weight problem. I found some information on NIH.gov that confirms my observations. One example given is the difference between a hamburger today in terms of calories vs. 20 years ago. 20 years ago, the average fast food hamburger had 333 calories. Today, 590! It goes on to say that you would need to lift weights for an hour and a half to burn the extra 257 calories consumed!

Now, I still love to eat. To combat the trend however, I try to eat smaller portions at home and share meals at restaurants with Lindsey. Give it a try- you'll consume fewer calories and save money that you can then spend on lottery tickets!

2 comments:

  1. LOL. I remember you saying you would take a nap at chuck-a-rama after round one then go back for round 2. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should try this if you are interested in losing more weight.

    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

    ReplyDelete