AFTER

AFTER
AFTER

BEFORE

BEFORE
BEFORE

Monday, November 22, 2010

How do I control portion sizes?

I used to think Weird Al's "Eat It" was just an annoying parody of Michael Jackson's "Beat It" until I realized two things: 1. it's actually an ingenious example of art imitating life and 2. Michael Jackson probably wrote "Beat It" as a parody of "Eat It." The King of Pop obviously won't be remembered for his attempts at comedy.

On the first point, I believe Weird Al was artistically commenting on his observation of America's growing weight problem back in the 1980s. One causal factor that he identifies in particular is growing portion sizes. For example, take this section of the chorus:

"I don't care if you're full
Just eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it
Open up your mouth and feed it
Have some more yogurt, have some more spam
It doesn't matter if it's fresh or canned
Just eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it"

One could argue that "Wise Al" is a more appropriate nick-name for Alfred Matthew Yankovic.

Now for the question I posed in the title, instead of just "eating it," here are some tricks I use to control portion sizes:

-I eat many (at least 5) small meals throughout the day. This keeps my metabolism high, my stomach used to small meals, and keeps my hunger largely at bay.
-I drink a lot of water throughout the day (personally I shoot for a gallon or more).
-I drink water before I eat.
-I try to savor each bite, allowing my mind to tell my I'm full before I've eaten too much.
-I use smaller bowls and plates.
-I chew gum or brush my teeth immediately after dinner (I seem to always want to graze in the evening).
-When I go to restaurants, I try to share with Lindsey or I'll eat half and take the other half home. Restaurant food is usually loaded with calories and salt.
-I pay attention to suggested serving sizes and keep the calorie numbers in my mind when I'm eating.

I want to draw from your well of experience. Please share any other tricks that have worked for you by comments or email. fitfattydaddy@yahoo.com

P.S. I'm very upset that Michael Jackson is no longer with us. If he were, he could possibly redeem himself on a comic level by writing a parody of Carrie Underwood's song, "Undo It," called "Control It," about controlling portion sizes. Based on his appearance and behavior, I think he would have been even more successful with country music than with pop anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Todd, Ali Mays Flegal was reading me your blog and I have to ask, WHERE oh WHERE does the my Double Double with cheese, fries and a Diet Coke fit into this diet? Granted I no longer have access to In&Out living in Georgia, but it is one of the first things I think about when I am ready to fly home to Utah.
    Oh and here is reason to be unfit, because you like having bigger boobs than the ladies at the office.
    Mike Flegal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Well Mike, a fitness guru would probably tell you to just forget about the InnOut fix. I'm glad I'm not a fitness guru! 1. I usually have a day or a couple of meals each week where I eat whatever I want as a reward for eating healthy the rest of the time, and 2. I too attest to the divinity of one InnOut! So IMHO, as long as you mostly stay away from the deep fried southern goodness, your trips to Utah, Nevada, and California (I don't know if it's in any other states) would be wastes of time without a visit to the official hamburger joint of Zeus et al.

    ReplyDelete