AFTER

AFTER
AFTER

BEFORE

BEFORE
BEFORE

Monday, November 15, 2010

A Day in the Life (food guide)

First, you should talk to a doctor before making any changes to your diet or exercise routine.

Second, although I'm sharing my long-term, daily weight-loss/maintenance diet, I should repeat that the point of this blog is to help motivate busy people to lose weight and maintain while navigating the seas of real life, not to be an authority on diets and exercise. Since each person has a unique body, unique nutrition needs, and unique goals, what I do could be different from what you need to do, depending on what you are trying to do. For example, I have been trying to gain lean muscle mass, so I consume more protein than I would probably need to otherwise. It's important for you to find what works for you, and most important for you to reach your goals.

Third, I haven't followed this diet from the beginning. I actually started with a strict, low-carb diet and transitioned to this a couple of months later at the wise recommendation of some fitness-savvy co-workers. More on diets in an upcoming post.

Fourth, there are differing opinions (depending on the source) as to what constitutes the optimal diet. One universally accepted nutrition principle I follow is a strict avoidance of saturated fat, salt, and refined sugar consumption.

The categories of foods I eat include lean meats (chicken breast, turkey breast, tuna, salmon, etc.), vegetables (with an emphasis on greens), fruits, carbohydrates (whole grains, whole grain products, black beans, sweet potatoes, etc.), and healthy fats (olive oil, canola oil, almonds, peanuts, etc.).

Here is a typical day for me:

Breakfast (7:30):
-protein shake
-1/4-1/2 cup oats
-piece of fruit

Snack (10:30):
-Orange
-1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese
-1/4 cup oats

Lunch (1:30):
-can of tuna
-1 cup of greens
-1/3 cup black beans

Snack (4:30):
-1 cup greens
-1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese
-1/4-1/2 cup oats

Dinner (6:30):
-1 chicken breast
-1/2 yam or a couple slices of whole-wheat bread
-1 cup of greens or a salad with vinaigrette dressing

Snack (after workout):
-scoop of peanut butter or another protein shake

I'll substitute different foods from the same category in there to add variety, but that's the structure. Can you wee why the folks at the office mock me for eating like a horse?:).

Key takeaway:
-eat many small meals throughout the day to keep metabolism high and hunger at bay

I know it looks scary! If someone told me this during my fat days, before I was motivated to change, I would have screamed in church! Believe me though, the longer I do it the more it becomes just "the way I eat," my body actually craves the nutrition, and I actually enjoy the food. Remember too, I reward myself with treats as I go along (usually every Saturday, but not always), so no love is lost between me and naughty foods.

Here are some helpful resources:
nutrition.gov, cdc.gov, bodyforlife.com, bodybuilding.com, mayoclinic.com

Let me know if you have any questions.

2 comments:

  1. i think my problem is eating too much at one sitting, or just snacking mindlessly while watching tv- got any tips for controling portion size and endless snacking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lindsay, I'll do a future post on that for more tips, but here are a few thoughts: portion control is more of a momentum issue, snacking isn't inherently bad, and one can help the other.

    On snacking: at first I forced myself to eat low calorie snacks, like fruit. Over time it will became a habit and it kept my metabolism up. I try not to snack very much at night.

    On portion control: it's easier for me to eat less at a meal if I'm not already starving. When I eat healthy snacks throughout the day, I'm not as hungry at mealtime.

    ReplyDelete