AFTER

AFTER
AFTER

BEFORE

BEFORE
BEFORE

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fighting fatigue with exercise?

I've been working long hours lately and barely exercised at all last week due to a cold.  Luckily I've reached a point after a couple years of consistent daily exercise that I feel gross, weak, and soft if I don't exercise for a few days (as a fatty, I used to look for every excuse to practice beached-whaleism).  Despite my exhaustion last night after a long day, I still ran for 30 minutes.  The result?  It was a lot easier to wake up this morning, and I feel more like Mr. T again instead of Mr. Rogers.

A study done by the Department of Kinesiology at the University of Georgia, published in the March 2008 edition of the Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, gives evidence of the positive effects of exercise on fatigue.  36 young adults with symptoms of fatigue syndrome, but no other serious medical conditions, were divided into 3 groups- one doing high-intensity exercise, one low-intensity, and a control.  After 6 weeks, the high-intensity and low intensity exercise groups saw the same increase in energy levels and improved mood, and the control group saw no change.

I know it's counter-intuitive, but exercise beats fatigue.   

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you, Todd. I would run at least 30 mins a day and i always felt great the next day. I shoud to start that up again.

    ReplyDelete