AFTER

AFTER
AFTER

BEFORE

BEFORE
BEFORE

Thursday, January 20, 2011

How do I maintain my weight with a pregnant wife?

I love having a pregnant wife!  I'm elated to have another baby, and despite what she thinks, I find Lindsey very attractive with a bump.

But...how do I keep from myself from growing a bump?  The hard part has been the non-Todd-approved food decorating our kitchen.  Lindsey has been very nauseated and unable to eat any of our regular healthy staples (chicken breast, yams, whole wheat bread, etc.) with few exceptions.  In fact, even cooking them makes her sick.  She can only eat what sounds good to her at any random moment- usually foods that we both would normally consider unhealthy or even disgusting.  She's really making a huge sacrifice for this little one- but Lindsey is that kind of woman.

As a result, I've been bombarded by attractive potato-chip bags, animal crackers, Hamburger Helper, chemical bread (white sandwich bread that I've always found to have a yucky aftertaste...even when I was a bonafide fatty), ice cream, chocolate, etc. etc. etc.

If I were still a fatty, I would not squander the opportunity to put on several pounds along with m'lady.  My life would be a veritable smorgasbord right now.  As a fit fatty at heart however, walking through the kitchen has become a daily battle.

Here are a few tips that have helped me remain a fit fatty at heart:

-Ask Lindsey to hide the unhealthy food so I don't see it- "Out of sight, out of mind"
-Cook reserves of healthy food as seldom as possible
-Eat healthy foods with her as often as she can- she still craves different fruits and vegetables
-Recommit to my healthy eating behavior- it's like with drugs- if I don't make the right decision now, it's harder to make the right decision in the moment, especially with a hot doughnut looking me up and down
-Offer to help as much as possible- this keeps me active and out of couch-potato mode

I dream of the day my family will be able to once again easily fuel our machines with premium unleaded like the healthy little robots we try to be.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Todd!

    I have a site called A Health Life and I plan on relating my struggles and victories on that site, kind of like you are here.

    I especially like this blog post. I caught onto it from Facebook!

    Jared Balis
    A Healthy Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jared!

    Looking forward to checking out your site.

    Todd

    ReplyDelete