AFTER

AFTER
AFTER

BEFORE

BEFORE
BEFORE

Friday, January 28, 2011

Sleepless in Salt Lake City

Part of my motivation to lose weight was to reduce my fatigue.  I used to doze off every afternoon at work and would sleep at every opportunity.  I really was more of a beached-whale than a human.

My daytime fatigue has disappeared since I became healthy, and I've tried to reduce my sleep time as much as possible, but I'm learning I still need it.  In being extraordinarily busy this last month, I've tried to go without much sleep and have noticed detrimental effects on my health including prolonged illness and a little bit of weight-gain.

It turns out those effects are normal and common among sleep-deprived folks.  A January 2006 Harvard Medical School article lists 6 common areas negatively affected by chronic sleep deprivation:

1. Learning and memory
2. Metabolism and weight gain
3. Safety (alertness, etc.)
4. Mood
5. Cardiovascular health
6. Disease

Although sleep may seem like a necessary evil, it's a necessary part of transforming one from a beached-whale into an Evel Knievel.

Tell me if you've experienced negative side-effects of sleep deprivation or if you've found a way to function (naturally- I know about energy drinks:) with less sleep?

1 comment: